This is one of my favorite soups. Hands down. Adapted from Southern Food.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (or just used pre-minced garlic cause you’re lazy like me)
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 cups diced, peeled tomatoes – canned or fresh
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- 8-10 oz cheese tortellini
Saute sausage in a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot over med-high heat until cooked through (break it up with a spoon as you go; should take about 10 min). Transfer sausage to a bowl. Leave the fat/grease in the pan. Add onion and garlic to pan and saute until tender, about 5 min. Return sausage to pan. Add broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, wine, basil, and oregano. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 35-45 min. Add tortellini to soup and cook until tender, about 8-10 min. Season soup with salt and pepper, to taste. Serves 6.